Saturday, November 30, 2019


Personal reflection 


My aim in learning this module was to be able to be a better presenter and to write professionally. Being able to paraphrase, it will help in my future reports. As it is considered “illegal” to just take somebody else’s sentence, paraphrasing is needed to change the sentence structure but keeping the meaning behind it. The work we have done in class requires a lot of paraphrasing, but I feel that there is still room for improvement. The reader response was also quite foreign to me as it was my first time hearing it. It sums up the whole article and narrows it down to the important pointers. The thesis made it clear about what the reader's response is trying to elaborate on in the later part. As I was a terrible presenter in the past, this was a good opportunity to really push myself to be a better presenter. With all the skills acquired, I felt that I have made some improvements. But with that said, I am still far from being a good presenter. I hope with the skills that I have learned, I can be a better presenter in the future. Practice makes perfect.

I was looking forward to working with my new teammates for the group project. At first, I was shy to share my thoughts and ideas to come up for the project as I did not know how they would work in groups. Nonetheless, I am grateful for having my teammates as they were fun to work with and I really enjoyed working with them. During the mock presentation, my friends and teammates noticed that I was muttering to myself and was not confident at all. I did not want to be the black sheep and not present well during the presentation. So, I kept on practicing with my teammates until there were some improvements. We managed to come up with an interesting idea and put up a good presentation. I managed to grasp the techniques of presentation such as being confident, have the correct body posture and maintain eye contact. The pace of presenting also plays a part so the audience can understand what we are trying to convey. Thankful, we got selected to present in the showcase. It was a good chance for my team and myself to present our idea and brush up our presentation skills for the showcase.

It was a good experience presenting in the presentation showcase. It was a heartfelt moment for me as initially I did not want to present as I was afraid. Presenting for the first time in front of a big crowd with a panel of judges was very detrimental but at the same time feeling excited. What I have learned is to step out of my comfort zone and enjoy presenting to the audience. I tried to improve and avoid the same mistakes when I presented in class. All in all, I am thankful that I got the chance to present. Thank you, prof Brad, for guiding us along throughout the whole trimester.

No comments:

Post a Comment